Translate

Italian cappuccino story

Description Cappuccino Loves Italy.jpg
My latest experience in my own country, in my own town: I'm in a coffee shop in Borgo Pio (a street behind the Vatican), I'm enjoying my 4th coffee of the day talking literally 5 minutes to some friends in between meetings. One Korean woman apologies for interrupting me and asks for my help. "Can you tell me please if 6 euros for a cappuccino is an ok price?" I look at one of my friends' receipt - he just paid for his cappuccino served outside, like the lady who was seated beside me - and the price is 3.5 euros. I look back to the receipt given to the tourist and realize is not even a valid receipt (fiscally). I go inside and confront bluntly the cashier, who instead of apologizing for the "mistake" first says "O but she got it in a bigger glass", then, when I point out that we don't have distinctions of that kind in Italy and that the prices she has exposed on the wall don't say "Cappuccino in large size = 6 euros" she dares to ask me "and Who are you?" meaning what don't you mind your business.
This is when I go ballistic. They are messing with the wrong pal! “I’m a pissed off citizen who’s going to kick your ass!” is my answer I leave and I call immediately the Guardia di Finanza (the Italian equivalent of the US IRS). I wait for them to come and take a full report. Now to make sure these assholes get audited (and believe me you don’t want to deal with the Guardia di Finanza the same way nobody wants to deal with the IRS!) I’ll call a couple of friends who work there.
Now, I’d like to know why don’t we Italians stop accepting this shitty attitude and start to make the difference? Only then we could stop complaining about the old stereotypes of the Italians depicted with "Spaghetti, Mafia and Mandolin!"